Pastitsio is an amazing Greek pasta dish with lots of ground beef, layers of creamy béchamel sauce, and tons of carbs. It’s comfort food at its best, but I wanted to take this old favorite of mine and give it a new twist with our amazing ISOPASTA Penne. There’s some new flavors, some new proteins, and a good dose of feta cheese to bring lots of flavor without the sodium or calories. Best of all, this pasta bake keeps well for days, making it a great fit for your meal prep lifestyle.
Wine Recommendation: A big, loud Cab will pair amazingly with this hearty dish. Cheers!
I hope you enjoy this delicious addition to your healthy ISO lifestyle!
Kelly Pipich, Isolator Fitness’s Executive Chef
- 8.82oz ISOPASTA Penne (1 small bag)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tbsp tomato paste
- ½ lb ground lamb
- ½ tbsp dried peppermint
- 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1½ tsp ground cumin, divided
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tbsp ras-el-hanout (most grocery stores will carry this in their spice aisle)
- 1 c milk (I used whole milk in the nutrition facts, but you can sub in whatever you prefer)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- 3 oz crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ c grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400˚ and spray a 6-8 c baking dish with your favorite nonstick spray.
- Cook your ISOPASTA Penne according to the package directions. In a fine mesh strainer, drain your penne when it is cooked to al dente. Put the pasta in a large mixing bowl and toss it with 1 tbsp of the olive oil and 1/8 c of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Check your ISOPASTA Penne for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium and sauté your onion and garlic until softened. Add the ground lamb and cook, breaking up the lamb into even little pieces until no pink remains.
- Stir the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, mint, cinnamon, ras-el-hanout, and 1¼ tsp cumin into the lamb, stirring well to incorporate the mixture together. Cook the lamb and spices over medium heat for another 5 minutes, then remove it from the heat and set it aside. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Meanwhile, microwave the milk for 1 minute to heat it and set it aside. In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat and whisk in the rice flour to make a roux. Cook, whisking, until the roux is thickened, fully blended, and starting to take on a light tan color. Gradually whisk in the milk and whisk everything together until thickened and well blended.
- Stir the feta and remaining ¼ tsp cumin into the milk mixture until well blended and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- In your prepared baking dish, layer half of the pasta, followed by all of the lamb, spreading the lamb sauce evenly. Top with the remaining pasta and then the cheese sauce, spreading the sauce evenly over the ISOPASTA Penne. Sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top and bake uncovered for 20 minutes, rotate the baking dish so it browns evenly, and bake for another 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Serving Size 1 Serving
Calories from Fat 187.5
Total Fat 20.8g
Saturated Fat 10.9g
Net Carbohydrates 16.1g
The post PASTITSIO PENNE appeared first on ISOLATOR FITNESS BLOG.
Also in ISO
Dinner, a movie, some flowers and chocolates. This is the recipe for every boring, cliche, overplayed, not to mention unhealthy, Valentine’s Day date ever created. This Valentine’s Day why not mix it up a little bit, and add a little bit of fitness fun to your celebratory festivities. It doesn’t matter if you live in a cold or warm climate, there are always outdoor fitness options. And if you prefer indoor activities, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered there too. Afterall once you’ve found your swolemate, it should be nothing but the best for you and them.
With the holiday’s coming up, you may be having trouble trying to fit everything you need to get done into your day. But that doesn’t mean that you can skip out on your workouts. Skipping workouts now is a slippery slope that not only puts a stop to your current progress, but may also make future progress more difficult to achieve. This time of year it’s easy to get caught up in overeating, poor sleep schedules and over booking your time. This 15 minute HIIT workout will help you to stay on track with your daily workouts even when you feel like you have no time though. Because although you may have to shorten your workouts a few days this holiday season, there’s no reason to skip them all together.
It’s the holiday season and among all of the hustle and bustle there’s one chore that you just can’t afford to put on the back burner until the very last minute. And that’s planning your holiday menu. Planning a healthy holiday menu is one of the best ways to ensure that you stay on track during the holidays with your healthy eating. The best part is that thanks to this list of delicious christmas recipes, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from without having to worry about skimping on flavor.