PUMPKIN ROLL CUPCAKES
PUMPKIN ROLL CUPCAKES
Pumpkin rolls are a serious weakness of mine, but all that fat and sugar make them one of those foods I feel seriously weak after eating. I’ve taken the concept of a pumpkin roll – moist, spiced cake and luscious cream cheese filling – and made it into a low-cal, protein-packed, vitamin A-filled cupcake you can feel awesome about indulging in. I even snuck in some hemp seeds for added omega-3 and omega-6. These fragrant, lightly sweetened cupcakes even hold a special surprise: cream cheese filling on the inside! But don’t worry – it’s an easy little trick that you’ll love to learn.
I hope you enjoy this sweet addition to your healthy ISO lifestyle!
Kelly Pipich, Isolator Fitness’s Executive Chef
- 1¼ c soy flour
- ½ c oat flour
- ¾ c almond flour/meal
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- ½ c canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not the pie filling)
- 2½ oz 2% Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ c apple cider (or apple juice)
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp liquid stevia, unflavored
For Cream Cheese Filling:
- 5 oz Neufchatel (low fat cream cheese), softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350˚ and place a dozen foil cupcake liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first twelve ingredients (through hemp seeds) until very well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining cupcake ingredients (through stevia). Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream cheese filling ingredients until very well blended.
- Using a 1 tbsp ice cream scoop or melon baller, scoop one tbsp of cupcake batter into each of the twelve cupcake liners. Gently spread the batter around the bottom of the liner.
- Now, place a scant one teaspoon of cream cheese filling on top of the cupcake batter in each liner. There’s your cream cheese filling surprise!
- Finish off by scooping two more tbsp of cupcake batter into the cupcake liners and gently spreading the batter to have a flat top.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 13-18 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through your bake time. (Start checking at the 13 minute mark – they may take longer if the batter wasn’t spread much.) A toothpick test won’t work for doneness because of that creamy filling, but the cupcakes should spring back when gently pressed.
- Remove your cupcakes from the oven, and let them cool on a wire cooling rack.
- When the cupcakes have cooled off, carefully spread some of the remaining filling onto each cupcake. You can do a little dollop as I’ve done (see picture at top) or spread it into a thin layer of icing.
- Refrigerate any extras and enjoy!
Serving Size 1 Cupcake
Calories from Fat 73
Total Fat 8.1g
Saturated Fat 2.4g
Dietary Fiber 2.7g
The post PUMPKIN ROLL CUPCAKES appeared first on ISOLATOR FITNESS BLOG.