ISOPASTA FUSILLI MAC AND CHEESE
A low-carb mac and cheese that actually has seven different kinds of creamy, flavorful cheeses in it? With our ISOPASTA Fusilli, this gooey, satisfying comfort food is back on the table. Curious? Here’s how I did it:
TOFU! Having a base of silken tofu helps draw all those cheeses together into one luscious, protein-filled sauce. Besides adding extra iron and calcium, that magical tofu also means you won’t have to spend time at the stove making a traditional flour and butter roux (and it spares you the fat that comes with that!).
Most mac and cheeses go for lots of gooey but often flavorless cheeses; in mine, I give you a selection of highly flavored cheeses in small amounts to bring big taste without overloading on fat. Last, but not least…the breadcrumbs! A great baked mac and cheese needs that crunchy breadcrumb topping, but how to avoid the extra carbs and calories? I deeply toast and crumble slices of Ezekiel bread to give that fantastic crunchy texture without butter or oils. Fast, easy, and unbelievably delicious, I’m confident you’ll love my healthy version of this family favorite.
Wine Recommendation: This creamy, savory mac and cheese should be paired with a Riesling that’s more on the sweet side. Cheers!
I hope you enjoy this delicious addition to your healthy ISO lifestyle!
Kelly Pipich, Isolator Fitness’s Executive Chef
- 1 full bag ISOPASTA Fusilli
- ¼ c crumbled gorgonzola
- 4 oz shredded (hard) goat cheese (Joan of Arc brand comes preshredded for faster prep)
- 4 oz 0% Fromage Blanc*
- 4 oz silken tofu
- 4 oz 2% cottage cheese
- 2 oz part skim ricotta
- 2 oz Neufchatel
- 2 oz shredded extra sharp cheddar
- 2 slices Ezekiel Sesame Bread
- Preheat your oven to 350˚.
- In a large bowl, mix together the gorgonzola through the cheddar. Set aside while your ISOPASTA cooks.
- Cook ISOPASTA Fusilli according to package directions. In a fine mesh strainer, drain your fusilli when it is cooked to al dente and immediately pour the pasta over the cheese sauce. Stir well to combine and allow the hot pasta to melt the cheese together. Pour the mac and cheese into a 2½-3qt casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, toast the Ezekiel bread until it’s very dark but not burnt. It should be dark and crispy enough to crumble all over the top of your mac and cheese. Make sure to spread your crumbs evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and enjoy!
*Fromage Blanc is an awesome fresh French cheese that acts like a combo of cream cheese and yogurt. It has a smooth, creamy texture that helps make this mac and cheese feel so indulgent. Vermont Creamery makes a great widely-available Fromage Blanc – make sure to get the 0% fat variety. If you can’t find it, a fat free Greek yogurt can be swapped in.
Serving Size 1 Serving
Calories from Fat 147
Total Fat 16.2g
Saturated Fat 8.9g
Dietary Fiber 3.8g
The post ISOPASTA FUSILLI MAC AND CHEESE appeared first on ISOLATOR FITNESS BLOG.